The evenings may be getting lighter, the temperature sure is getting cooler, combating the cold one dish at a time, starting with slow cooked shredded chicken, ham and leek casserole, served with mash and pan fried mangetout & savoy.
This meal is my 1st of 5, free food Feb challenge which my consultant tasked the group with to make 5 dishes we’ve either never made, or haven’t made for a very long time, all free food. This dish is a first.
Meal for 2, casserole made 5 portions, syn free
- 2 large chicken breasts (it 3 medium)
- 2 leeks
- Cooked ham
- 1 Onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 5 mushrooms
- Savoy cabbage
- Balsamic vinegar
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tspn parsley
- 1 tspn mixed herbs
- 1 tspn sage
- Ground black pepper
- 1/2 tspn garlic powder
- Fry light
- Brown the chicken
- Chop carrots, parsnips, onion, leek, and add to the slow cooker.
- Crumble 1 stock cube and add parsley, mixed herbs, sage, garlic powder, pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts in the top
- Make up 2nd stock cube with 1/2 pint water and pour over.
- Slow cook for 5 hours, my SC has on or off setting.
- Stir after 3 hours and break the chicken, it should naturally shred itself. Add the chopped mushrooms.
- About 30 mins before serving time, peel potatoes, dice, bring to the boil and cook until soft, mash
- 7 mins before serving, heat frying pan with fry light, roughly chop the savoy, and pan fry with mangetout, add balsamic vinegar and pepper to taste.